Saffron goes very well with lamb dishes and I love Indian foods. A favorite recipe is
Recipe: Lamb and potato curry
- 1 large onions, chopped
- Fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- Fresh red chili pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup ghee
- 1kg lamb (shoulder preferable) cut to 1 inch cubes
- A can fresh tomato, whole
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2-3 cups water
- Chili powder
- 2 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- Soak the saffron in 2 cups of water and set aside to soak
- Add the ghee to a deep non-stick pot; add chopped onions and chili pepper to fry until oil is soft
- Add the chopped lamb and fry over medium heat until lamb is brown all over.
- Drain the excess fat from the pot and add then add the tomatoes, coriander, cumin, salt, chili powder and stir with a fork until the tomatoes are broken down. Heat to boil; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened.
- Add the potatoes, the saffron water and cover until potato and lamb are cooked. It should take about 15 minutes
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with the fresh cilantro. Serve with rice, flat bread or eat alone.